Thursday, September 18, 2008

Anger, Aggression, All over

So, last night I sat and watched all of the news channels, FOX, CNN, CNBC etc. I was amazed and dismayed at all of the anger and attacking. It seems that we are still in the mode of "If you are not with us, you are against us". Why is this so glaring among the Republican Party? Why is everything us against you? It is impressive that the party has been able to build such an army of supporters that are so passionate, but it is also disturbing. I love to talk politics. I love to hear peoples' views and I also love to be the antithesis. Ask the tough questions.

When I question a Democrat they argue but will listen and actually sometimes agree with the counter point, but at the end they usually do not feel a the need to question our friendship. The problem is when I disagree with a Republican, I feel attacked and they believe that I am personally attacking their being. They will then actually take it personally enough that they question your friendship. You have just become one of the enemies. Why?

As a very free thinker I do not take anything I hear about or from Politician at face value. I absorbe, research and form my own opinion. There is not a party line in my body. I should be a Republican by all rights given my stature in America however, I consider myself a nice person. I want to do what is right for everyone. It is not my place to tell anyone their beilefs are wrong. I just feel compelled to question everything that is valid. It is the way the world works. It is what lets us grow. In every thing there is a "Thesis" and an "Anti-thesis". When the two are looked into in depth and arguments are made, we usually come up with a "Synthesis" which creates a new "Thesis". ie. the world is flat...(thesis) no it's not(antithesis), someone questions, explores and then comes up with the new Synthesis the world is round. Columbus sails and viola...now we have a new Thesis.
As a Christian, I believe in the scripture and know that Jesus would never approve of me standing in judgement of anyone.

"And Joshua said unto all the people. . . choose you this day whom ye will serve; . . . but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Josh. 24:2, 15).
What does that mean to you? Does it mean he thinks everyone else is wrong and he must try to change them...Does it mean that if they don't believe like he does he will dislike them...does he stand in judgement of anyone? I don't see that. I see a man convicted in his beliefs and knowing that there is no need for him to tell you what you should do. He will do what he thinks is right. You have your beliefs and you are allowed them. That is the gift that God has given us all, the gift of free will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Does it mean that if they don't believe like he does he with dislike them...does he stand in judgement of anyone? I don't see that. I see a man convicted in his beliefs and knowing that there is no need for him to tell you what you should do. He will do what he thinks is right."

I agree. I believe that, generally speaking, individuals are good and institutions are corrupt. Each individual is typically just trying to do what they believe is best.

People need to brush off their critical thinking skills and be wary of ideologies and institutions' agendas. I worry about voters who haven't critically thought about all of the issues with open minds.

aladante said...

Therein lies the problem Joe...do they have critical thinking skills at all?